Translate

Thursday, November 04, 2010

Culture Shock!

How does one write about Culture Shock? What does one write about Culture Shock? The first step, I would imagine, entails defining the “culture” which is doing the “shocking.” In this particular instance, I am defining the culture as “a certain member of the U.S. Banking system.”

As you have probably gathered from my previous blogs, my introduction to the city of Nice was one of being greeted with sunny smiles and beautiful weather which allayed my growing unease as a result of my experience with the “polite” ATM machines. My faculty adviser had thoughtfully placed an array of food items in the petite refrigerator, so I had no need to engage in the hunt for food on a Sunday afternoon. (Thank you, Madame!!)

Once the tour of my new home for the year was completed, I explained my experiences with the polite ATM machine in the States and with the currency exchange clerk in Zurich and that I had around 100 Euros total (taking into account the splurge of a cup of coffee at the airport in Zurich).

Given the full schedule of activities planned those first few days in Nice, which included a wonderful luncheon prepared and hosted by my Faculty Adviser, a tour of the city (my favorite: The Garden at the Monastery of Cimiez), and that I had arrived on a Sunday, the conclusion reached was “give the bank a few days.”

As agreed, I “gave the bank a few days,” and I plunged wholeheartedly into getting to know my “hood” or “ mon quartier.”

Would you like to know more? Stay tuned . . . Same Bat Time . . . Same Bat Channel.

True

No comments: