Translate

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Identity

For the majority of my tender years, I was simply introduced as “Amelia's daughter,” or called “daughter.” It wasn't until I entered the public school system that I understood the name, Elizabeth, applied to me.

During my 20s, I became known as Wife of, or The Wife, and I acquired the title “Mrs.” before my understood name of “Elizabeth.” I also received a new last name.

At the dawn of the decade of my 30s, I became a “She Who Must Be Obeyed” and I joined the elite club to which my mother belonged, to which my grandmother belonged. My budding linguist, however, shortened my new title to “MOM!!” or “MAMA!!.” Others simply referred to me as Only One Son's Mom or Mother of Only One Son.

The end of the decade of the 30s, I became identified as a “Divorcee,” which I still find strange, since I commenced the proceedings. Why was I not given the title “The Divorcer?”

During the decade of the 40s, I was addressed as Madame Court Reporter, lest I forget why I am sitting in a room with total strangers dutifully memorializing every word being said.

A new decade has commenced, and with it, a new identity. I am currently a full time undergrad student and Tourist-Temporary Resident of Nice, France. I must confess I am curious to learn my new title (smiles).

True

No comments: