Translate

Friday, October 22, 2010

Passage de l'Avenir




Madame G and I had a lively chat during the ride from the airport to my new home for the current academic year. The scenery during that rather brief ride was that of a typical warm and sunny Sunday afternoon. People were strolling with friends, and they seemed to be enjoying the lovely day as much as I was. Concerned about where I would find something to eat later, I asked where does one go that would be open and not too expensive. Madame G responded there are few establishments open on Sunday, but I should be able to find something. In fact, she took an extra turn around the block in order to show me a bakery which is only steps away from the apartment.

I had a lovely welcoming to my new home. My faculty advisor and her husband were there and Madame G's husband was there too. We all climbed the stairs to the top floor, which would be the Third Floor in the United States, but somehow is the Second Floor here in France. We all entered, and I was given a tour of home.

Home is a small studio. It has an interesting tiled floor and an equally interesting wooden ceiling. In terms of dimensions, I would say it is about the size of a small master bedroom, and that is including the petite kitchen!! There are two windows with shutters that provide a wonderful view of the apartments of my neighbors. The bathroom is equally interesting. It has a tiny skylight which provides lovely light, and it is tiled also. There is a petite shower which provides great incentive for me to lose weight!! (Don't Drop the Soap!!!)

There is a petite laundry machine manufactured by someone called Candy, and a petite refrigerator which Candy has also fashioned. (Fortunately, my adviser had kindly put a few lovely things for me to eat in said petite refrigerator.) To dry my laundry, I hang out of the window like my neighbors and with clothespins, I secure my freshly washed clothing.

I have a tiled square table near one of the windows which I use mainly as my desk. There is a built in bookcase which houses the petite television, a lamp, and the few books I lugged along in the heaviest carry on bags I could manage.

I am only a few short blocks from the famous Promenade des Anglais, and there are many shopkeepers and shops which are yet to be explored . .

Would you like to know more? Stay tuned Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel

True

No comments: